Acquiring and Installing Apps Using “Device Based Assignment”
- Log into your school’s VPP portal. https://volume.itunes.apple.com/ca/store
Search for an App. Click on the link to bring up the full description
- Decide how many copies you want to purchase/acquire.
- If it’s a paid app, choose Managed Distribution. If it’s a free
app, choose Review Order. Proceed to acquire the app. Receipts for
purchases will be emailed to the email address associated with your
school’s VPP account.
- Now go to your Airwatch Console.
Navigate to Apps/List View/Purchased and click on Sync Assets.
Wait at least 1 minute, then refresh the page and find the new app.
- Click on the pencil icon next to the app
- Edit App Assignment
- Click Enable Device Assignment
- Assign App to an Assignment Group
- Determine how many licenses you will be assigning
- Choose “Auto” to install App immediately or “On Demand” to only place the App in the SD34 Mobile App Library.
- Save Assignment
- In the Purchased App List, Publish the App
- Use “On Demand” method if you are not sure which iPads will need the App installed. This leaves it up to the end-user to choose to install the App.
- When installing Apps using the “Auto” method, limit yourself to 2 – 3 Apps at a time due to wifi bandwidth issues. If the installs slow down to a crawl, they often will not install reliably.